These cupcakes are my absolute favorite type of Peeps. Peeps are so versatile, and I piped the grass on top of the frosting using the Ateco grass piping tip #133. The Wilton grass piping tip #233 is also an option. Once you have set up, piping is easy and goes pretty quickly.
Easter is just around the corner, and if you’re anything like us, you’re probably excited about it! So excited to celebrate this one holiday throughout the whole year. The sweet smell of chocolate and the sound of bunnies hopping around – what more could we ask for? Well, we reckon that these peep cupcakes will do the trick! They not only look adorable but they are also incredibly delicious.
You’ve got to try them to believe them (and if you don’t believe us… well then who will?). But be warned: they won’t last long once your guests get a whiff of them!
Well they are cute easy and fun to make. What’s cuter than a colorful peep of chicks made of marshmallow. That’s where the name for these cupcakes comes. They are also often called marshmallow chicks or just peeps. You’ll have fun making them and will certainly make your kids happy.
So, What You’ll Need
For these peep cupcakes, you’ll need a couple of ingredients you may already have in your pantry.
So let’s get started!
– Eggs: You’ll need three different-coloured eggs to make the peep cupcakes. We’d recommend using blue, green, and purple eggs. You could also use yellow eggs instead of the blue ones if you’d like.
– Marshmallow Fluff: You’ll need marshmallow fluff to make the peep cupcakes. To be honest, you can use any brand you have in your fridge, but we like to use the kind that comes in a jar because it’s the easiest to use.
Peanut Butter: for decoration or you can make a filling for the peeps.
Raspberries: You’ll need fresh raspberries as decoration for the peep cupcakes which will make them look even cuter.
Tools and equipment you’ll need
– Mini marshmallow chicks: These are what you use to decorate the cupcakes with.
– Piping bags with different sized tips: For piping the rosettes around the cupcakes.
– Silicone baking mats: These can be used to line your baking trays and make clean-up easy! They are also nonstick, making them perfect for baking.
– Rolling pin: We recommend using a standard-sized rolling pin to flatten out your peanut butter.
– Food processor: You’ll need a powerful food processor to make the marshmallow chicks. You can also use a normal blender instead.
– Baking tray: We recommend using a baking tray that is at least 8-inches (20cm) in diameter. This will make it easier to fit the 8-inch cupcakes onto the tray.
– 8-inch round frosting cake tin: You’ll need an 8-inch round cake tin to make the cupcakes in.
You must bake cupcakes first, and then let them cool, for this recipe. Any flavour will work. My vanilla buttercream recipe is provided below for use as frosting.
Making the cupcakes
First , you’ll need to prepare the cupcake base. This can be done in a food processor. Mix together the peanut butter and marshmallow fluff until you have a smooth mixture. Next, divide the mixture into three bowls. Color blue, green, and purple icing with one bowl, add food coloring to one more bowl and coloring to the last bowl. Then, create three different-sized cupcake bases. Using the blue, green, and purple icing, ice your cupcakes. Make sure to cover the whole surface of the cupcake. Once the icing is done, set them aside to decorate. Next, you’ll need to make the egg-cups. To create the egg-cups, simply pipe cream rosettes onto a silicone pad and top each with an egg shape.
Now, you’ll need the raspberries. You’ll need to halve the berries and place one half on the top of each cupcake to look like an Easter egg.
Decorating the cupcakes with mini marshmallow chicks
You can use any mini marshmallow chick to decorate the cupcakes, but we’re going to use mini marshmallow chicks. You can find them at most supermarkets in the cake decorating aisle. To decorate the cupcakes, simply shake out the chick and place it on top of the frosted cake. Make sure that it’s even with the top of the cake. Add more chicks as you go until the cake is completely covered. You can also add a few more chicks to the sides of the cake to create a swarm.
To make the egg-cups, simply pipe cream rosettes onto a silicone pad and top each with an egg shape.
Next, you’ll need to create the mini marshmallow chicks. You can use any mini marshmallow chick to decorate the cupcakes, but we’re going to use mini marshmallow chicks. You can find them at most supermarkets in the cake decorating aisle. To create the mini marshmallow chicks, you’ll need to use an icing tip. We like to use size 4. Next, take a marshmallow chick and pipe a few strips of icing onto a silicone pad.
Final assembly: The finished product!
Once the cupcakes are decorated, you can assemble the Easter peep cupcakes! Simply put one layer of blue, green, and purple cupcakes in the bottom of your cake tin. Next, put a peep cupcake on top of the blue, green, and purple cupcakes. Make sure that they are evenly spaced out. Repeat until you have used all the cupcakes. Now, you’re ready to serve your Easter peep cupcakes! Please note that you don’t have to use the mini marshmallow chicks to decorate the cupcakes. You can use any chick or any other decorations you have lying around the house. You can even make your own decorations using jelly beans, seeds, or chocolate chips. You can also make your own mini marshmallow chicks using white icing, royal icing, or melted chocolate.
Tips and tricks for making Easter peepcake
– We recommend using a food processor to make the marshmallow chicks. You can also use a regular blender instead. – Raspberries should be fresh. Using store-bought raspberries will not yield the same taste you would get from fresh-picked raspberries.
– Make sure that your eggs and raspberries are fresh and free from bruises or scratches.
– Make sure that your baking tray is clean before use. Dirt on the baking tray will affect the quality of your cupcakes.
– To make sure that your cakes don’t dry out, cover them with a silicone mat while they are in the cooling stage. This will also prevent the cakes from sticking to the tray.
– You can also store your cupcakes in an airtight container to keep them fresh.
Easter Peep Cupcakes RecipeShare on Facebook Share by Email
~Ingredients for cupcakes
- 1 full cup of butter softened
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract me, pure almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 450 ml sour cream I, for lack of it, 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
~Ingredients for the glaze
- 1 full cup of butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract me, pure almond extract
- 5 1/4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk me, buttermilk to taste
- ~Preparation of cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Line a muffin tin (30 cavities) with paper boxes.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup of butter with the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, before adding lemon zest and 1 tsp vanilla; mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into the previous mixture, alternating with sour cream.
- Transfer 4 tbsp of dough to each cavity of the mold.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring the muffins to a wire rack for complete cooling.
~Preparation of the glaze.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup of butter with 1 tsp of vanilla. Gradually add the icing sugar.
- Then add the milk and mix until light and smooth.
Peepcakes are an easy and fun way to decorate your sweets or Easter eggs. You can make them with just about anything that you have at home. The process of making them is also very simple, you just need to follow the steps provided in this recipe. The result is a delicious and yummy peepcake that you can enjoy with family and friends this Easter.
Hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Easter peep cupcakes. If you do make them, please let us know in the comments below. We would love to hear from you!